Wednesday, 22 March 2017

Back from Birmingham - Tired but Happy!!

Well!!

i had the most wonderful time at ICHF in Birmingham...

...meeting lots and lots of lovely people....

...and talking my head off! :-D

I got myself pitched on Tuesday ready for set-up on Wednesday.

This was the first time my new "Medieval Mysteries" have seen a wall...

...so I was just a little apprehensive about how it would all look.

After a couple of hours of climbing ladders...

...it ended up like this.....



Looking from the seating area...




Some closer shots of...

...beakheads...




...Medieval tiles...





...sketchbook pages...




...moths and mushrooms (medieval of course!!)




...and a bit of background info...




Overall I was very pleased with the way it looked...

....and it got a LOT of attention and many, many positive comments!

Even though it was a trek...and a few days of intense activity...

...I got back late yesterday feeling that it had been an extremely worthwhile trip.

So, all of you wonderful people that came to talk to me on my stand...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH INDEED!!!

You made my show!! x x x x x x

x C

Saturday, 11 March 2017

Majestic Meeces!!

Whew!

Finished....with 2 days to spare!!

Meet Melisant, Metylda and Maudeleyn.







They will be greeting folk on my stand N14 at the NEC next week!!

I love them already! :-)


Hope to see you there...

x C

Thursday, 9 March 2017

Romanesque artbook pages

Here are a few pages that have been completed...

...in my 8" x 6" Romanesque artbook.

This is a design study based on the Norman arches that I find in so many 12th century churches...



...and these are simple graphite sketches of faces and features...

...done on top of one of my own stone wall stencils.

(Tim Holtz Distress ink pads and a piece of sponge through the stencil, then splattered with Brusho.)





I'm finding that using a 5mm 4B graphite clutch pencil is freeing-up my drawing.

I always used to use a 0.5mm clutch and take absolutely ages to get anything done!!

The chunky feel of the Cretacolor wooden handle is a joy ....

...and makes my drawing a happy experience :-)

More tomorrow...

x C

Wednesday, 8 March 2017

Stitched Tile Pavement

Well...

...part of one anyway :-)

Unfortunately I only have 24 hours in a day, and only 7 days in a week...

....and getting many of these done is difficult right now.

So that I can put samples up at the show next week, I've stapled some onto a background for now...

...so that I can get them off again easily.

These are made using my larger tile blocks...

...from Colouricious of course!!






Printed light onto a darker hand-dyed fabric background...

...stitched around on the machine...

...then seed stitching by hand to finish off.

Very time consuming...

...and the plan is to have a "floor" that measures about 6ft x 8ft ...........eventually.

Ho Hum

...onwards and upwards....

x C

Sunday, 5 March 2017

Tile Books

I've made a little stash of these...

...ready for the show at the NEC.

Hand stamped tiles...

...hand tinted and embellished...

.....on handmade leather paper....

...then machine stitched....

.....finished off with my own "Lava Beads" made with Butterfly Softspun!!




These will be for sale on my stand N14 in Fashion & Embroidery...

...where rolls of "Butterfy SoftSpun" will be available too.

Hope to see some of you at the show!!

x C

Wednesday, 1 March 2017

Pavement panel #2

On the machine today...

...after doing all the usual prep over the last couple of days.

This one is smaller than the first...

...so not quite so difficult to manipulate under the needle!!





I've got a few tiles left over...

...so the plan is to do a couple of book covers.

I'm enjoying these!! :-)

Yesterday I drew a load of Fleur de Lys shapes to cut some templates and will start cutting them out later today. I'll have some for sale at the show...

....and the rest will go in my shop afterwards.

Have a good week.....

x C

Saturday, 25 February 2017

A tiled masterpiece!!

Ok....so it's fairly obvious that I'm very, VERY happy with this finished piece :-o

...so much so that I'm allowing myself to refer to it as a "masterpiece" !!

It took a LOT of hours to get it all done...

...making the "Leather Paper"....

...printing the tiles...

....hand-colouring each one...

....painting the background fabric...

....positioning the tiles in a pleasing manner (not that easy to do believe me!!)...

...then stitching the tiles in place and finally stitching on the "grout" lines.

The result...





Sorry about the lighting problems...

...it's dark and grey here again today...

...but those of you coming to ICHF next month will see it in all it's glory!