Thursday 19 October 2017

Re-visiting...

It's been a very long time...

...since I did any amount of Crewel Embroidery...

...but...

...I have a need to re-visit this technique as it fits in with my "Medieval Mysteries" theme.

Yes, I know that folk often think of Crewelwork as a "Jacobean" thing...

...and, indeed, this lovely piece that I'm working on does fit firmly into that niche.


But, this kind of wool-work was done much, much earlier too...

...by the expert needle-women of the Anglo Saxon period...

..and it's that particular time that interests me right now...

...as I'm amassing a veritable pile of ideas and drawings.


Before launching myself back into this kind of stitching though...

...I decided to work a piece "under instruction" as it were.

So...

...I bought one of Sue Hawkins' beautiful kits...

... "Rosehips" from the Jacobean Berries series...



...and a start has been made :-)






Once this has piece has been finished, I'll feel more confident to tackle some of my own drawings.

It's never too late to learn...

...or re-learn...

...as long as you enjoy the process.

x C